Monday, February 4, 2013

Journey Inward, Journey Outward by Elizabeth O'Connor


Journey Inward, Journey Outward by Elizabeth O'Connor is one of my required readings for the Academy for Spiritual Formation.  My journey on Academy #32 is coming to a close as far as the readings and the travels and the sessions go.  Session #8 is in April.  I have a couple of more books to read, but I may not get to them.  This book puts me at my 26 minimum and with my seminary class starting next week, this may be all I can do.  We'll see.

But I don't want to share about reading in general, I want to share about this book and from this book.  I also want to share other resources I've found.

First, this book. 

Let's say you weren't holding the copy I have, with its slightly fraying binding and yellowed pages.  Let's say you ignored the references to the Vietnam War and Martin Luther King, Jr. and Selma, Alabama.  I wonder, if like me, you would then think that this book could be talking about the church today, society today, Kingdom today?!?!  Church of the Savior was likely a fore-runner for other churches back in the late 60s as it stepped into Kingdom life, basing the journey outward on the strong foundation of the inward journey.  Yet, I still see this church as a fore-runner, because all too often we focus primarily on the outward mission without strengthening the inward journey.  It isn't an either/or.  It is a both/and.

The example set forth in the book by this particular church is not new to Christ followers.  Christ set the example.  Christ took time for the inward journey in order to have strength for the outward journey.  But that could be a whole other post.  Read the gospel of Mark for the rhythm and pattern of Christ ministering and getting away.  There are times when Christ is trying to get away and attend to the inward journey, but the crowds keep following him to the other side.  I wonder if there is anyone (lay or clergy) in ministry that ever feels like he/she cannot get away from the crowd?!!? 

But, that could be a whole other post too.

The book.  Journey Inward, Journey Outward.  The copy I have was published in 1975 by Harper & Row.  The original publishing date was 1968. 

What feels so odd about this book seeming like it could be talking about the here and now may have something to with the fact that I was four years old when it was published the first time and it resonates deeply within my soul.

There are 10 chapters in the book, plus a preface, an epilogue, an appendix from the Coffee House Church and some pictures.  The chapters are:

The Inward Journey
Three Engagements on the Journey Inward
Calling Forth of Gifts
The Restoration Corps
The Frontier Church and Psychiatry
The Potter's House
New and Old Forms of Worship
Preparation for Mission
The Covenant Community
For Love of Children

Here are some thoughts/quotes, etc. that stood out to me:

"We are going to know little about the task of reconciliation in the world unless we are in touch with what goes on in that world within ourselves and know how difficult reconciliation is there." (preface, ix-x)

"I am not practiced in placing my life beside quiet waters where the Spirit of God can brood upon it." (2)

"Is there within me a strength that lets me be unafraid? Can I allow myself to be present to another because I can trust my response and know that I am able for whatever comes?" (2-3)

"Whether a man arrives or does not arrive at his destiny--the place that is particularly his--depends on whether or not he finds the Kingdom within and hears the call to wholeness--or holiness, as another might say.  The man who hears that call is chosen. [...] Life becomes his vocation." (5)

"In whatever way it happens, the person who has lost his true self has a hunger in him." (7)

"The man who would step out of the crowd and follow his own destiny, must keep before him the knowledge that the way is hard." (8)

Talking about the book: "It is a book concerned with the renewal of the church, for it holds that renewal cannot come to the church unless its people are on an inward journey.  It holds with equal emphasis that renewal cannot come to the church unless its people are on an outward journey." (9)

"We have to be people engaged with ourselves, if we are going to find out where we are and where it is we want to go." (12)

"As people on an inward journey we are committed to growing in consciousness, to becoming people in touch with our real selves, so that we know not only what flows at the surface, but what goes on in the depths of us." (13)

"The content and quality of our lives is determined by how we respond to the ordinary, and this depends on whether or not we have taken the time to nourish an inner life." (18)

"To stand in the silence within oneself, while at the same time relating to external events, is not an easy concept to grasp.  It will also be understood differently at different stages of one's life." (29)

"Even in finding its outward shape, the Church must be concerned with its inward pilgrimage." (32)

"The outward journey is determined in part by the gifts discovered in the inward journey." (33)

"There comes to the "called" man an internal freedom that lets him take the risks involved in following a way.  Each day he moves closer to his "true self" and in this comes strength." (34)

"The adventure is not in the arriving, but in the journey--the "now" of life." (35)

"...we must be willing to give up structures not only when they fail to meet a need in the world, but when they no longer provide the framework that lets us be on the "immense journey" of becoming.  A call which is valid at one time in a person's life will not necessarily be valid at another time." (35)

"...the primary task and primary mission of the Christian is to call forth the gifts of others." (36)

"The discovery of the real self is the way to the treasure hidden in a field.  The gift a person brings to another is the gift of himself." (38)

"There is no Christian community not rooted in service, and no Christian service not rooted in relationship." (40)

I could go on and on and on!!

The ministries that spoke to me most were The Potter's House (a coffee shop) and the Dayspring Retreat Center, though there were aspects of the others that caught my attention and spoke to me in ways too.  Risk-taking and failure (but continuing to seek God's direction) are seen through the various ministries.  So is the foundation of the inward journey and the community committing together to live out their faith commitment individually and in community both inwardly and outwardly.  It isn't always pretty and it definitely isn't easy, but it is real. 

There is something about folks being serious about living into their growth on the inward journey and serving together on the outward journey that is refreshing and inspiring.

I was curious to see where Elizabeth O'Connor was now and what the Church of the Savior was up to.  The first thing I found was a blog link entitled "inward/outward".  From that site, I found information about the church and the ministries.  Links are below.  There may be more information, but I don't want to take away your fun, your research.

Church of the Savior has a blog in which Elizabeth O'Connor has posted.  Here is a link to one of her recent posts: inward/outward

You can learn more about Church of the Savior and their scattered churches as of 1994 from the homepage of the blog.

Though you can access this list of the ministries from the inward/outward blog as well, it is impressive enough for me to list separately.  What a wonderful example of organic ministry!  This is truly a mustard seed of faith becoming a full blown tree, living into its potential!  Ministries of the Church of the Savior.

I know there are churches and communities committed to this way that Christ has modeled for us, the way of the inward and outward journey being lived out in balance. 

Yet, it still seems like such a new and novel idea.  Maybe there is a need for more people to grow in the inner/inward journey, to learn about themselves, to learn their gifts, to put them into practice in community as they flow into the outward journey.

As I had hope for the institutional church when I read Diana Butler Bass' Christianity for the Rest of Us, I have hope from reading this book.  In both cases, I believe the hope stems from the fact that the focus is not on the institutional system but rather on living as an incarnational body, living as Christ lived.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment